Thanks for your help a few weeks ago!
You wanted the recipe for the smoked duck, ideally prepared during cold days in the winter:
- Duck Breasts (Moulards are best, can be ordered from Hudson Valley Foie Gras 80 Brooks Road Ferndale, NY 12734)
- Kosher Salt
- Sea Salt
- Madeira, Cognac, Armagnac or any other eau de vie you like
1. Wash the Duck Breasts, remove any blood, silk skin, and fat on the meat side.
2. Pat dry.
3. Take a Pyrex form or any other non reactive container.
4. Pour ½” of Kosher Salt on the bottom, equally distributed.
5. Put Breasts meat down, ½” apart, onto the salt and press down.
6. Cover with Kosher Salt, make sure to fill all spaces with salt.
7. If you have several breasts repeat 4. to 6.
8. Keep in a cold place for 24 hours.
9. Take breasts out, discard salt.
10. Wash breasts, remove all salt.
11. Pat dry, season with pepper.
12. Hang in cold place to dry for 24 hours.
13. Take down and prepare mix of honey and eau de vie. Don’t make it too thin, just so you can brush it on.
14. Let dry and hang again in cold place for 48 hours.
15. Smoke at lowest possible temperature for 24 hours with meat side down.
16. Remove and prepare thinly sliced, either as hors d’oeuvre or over a mesclun salad. Can be vacuum packed and stored in fridge for several weeks or frozen.
Have fun with it!
HOG HEAVEN BAKED BEANS
First Name: John
Last Name: Augustin
Recipe Hog Heaven Baked Beans
⅓ C. chopped yellow onions
⅓ C. diced green or red bell pepper
1 T. bacon drippings
½ t. dry mustard
⅓ C. brown sugar
½ to ¾ lb. smoked pulled pork
Bacon, cut in 1" pieces to cover the beans
1 30 oz. can Pork & Beans, drained (I use Bush's Original) ½ C. Bubba Brothers Gourmet BBQ Sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F or bring smoker up to about 225F. Combine bacon drippings, onion and pepper in a skillet and sauté until onions are transparent, then remove from heat.
Combine beans, mustard, brown sugar, pulled pork and BBQ sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix together thoroughly. Add onions and pepper mixture to the bean mixture and mix thoroughly.
Put all this into an oven proof baking dish, cover with bacon pieces and place, uncovered, in oven and bake for 1 hour. Optionally, place ingredients in a small disposable aluminum pan, cover with bacon pieces and smoke 2 to 4 hours or until bacon is at least partially cooked. It's hard to smoke too long.